What are the steps for building or remodeling a home or workspace in Santa Cruz County or City?
This can often be an overwhelming process since it is new for most people and involves a lot of time and money, and many decisions. The good news is that this process does not need to be difficult and stressful! We can take care of everything from start to finish, but we are flexible too, so you can be as involved in the whole process as you would like. We can handle everything from conceptual design, through design and engineering, plan submittal to the County or City, permits, and of course the building. One of the main things that is different about our company, is that we like to get involved early on in the process. This way, we can give cost estimates from the very beginning to help inform the decision making process. This ensures that you will be able to get your project done on budget.
Here’s a breakdown of the process, and how you can expect a building project to go with us.
- Meet with us for a free consultation to explore project feasibility and get a ballpark estimate. Use this estimate to inform decisions on the design.
- Hire an architect or designer to put your dreams on to paper (and 3D renderings). We’ll provide recommendations in our free consultation.
- Conceptual design. The architect or designer will come up with quick basic plans, and again, we will give a cost estimate to make sure the project is still coming in on budget, before the plans get too far along.
- Finalize plans and get final construction bid. Once your plans are finalized we can give you a bid with an exact dollar amount of what the project will cost.
- Sign a contract. Once you give us the go-ahead, we’ll send you a contract. A signed contract puts your project on our job schedule.
- Submit plans to County or City. The architect or designer will take care of this and track progress.
- Building timeline with key decisions. We will lay out all the critical decisions and when they have to be made so that you have plenty of time to make decisions.
- Start building. A home typically takes 8-11 months depending on the scope of the project. We can provide a clear timeline once the design is finalized.
- Move in and enjoy the comforts of your new home or business!